Within a few weeks we had many, many sprouts. Once the plants looked well established I thinned them to what the seed packages recommended for each vegetable.
| The vegetable pots all lined up and growing! |
My first harvest was of green beans, and they were yummy!
Our next harvest was of the small finger carrots. Ella especially loved these!
We did get a number of tomatoes but seeing as we are not a fresh tomato eating family, unfortunately they went to waste :(
Next, the pumpkin plant produced exactly ONE pumpkin for me. It ended up being about two inches around. We did get a plethora of flowers on the pumpkin vines but only one small pumpkin.
The jalapeno plant produced a number of peppers which Jason enjoyed consuming and the bell pepper plant produced about 10 peppers that were in various colors. Unfortunately the bell peppers only got as big as the small pumpkin, yet they were yummy when eaten!
Overall, I’m not sure the vegetable gardening was worth all the effort I put into it. The financial investment was small but the harvest wasn’t that large either. Maybe if I had planted directly into the ground I would have seen better results but I’m not sure I want to dig up part of the yard and defend it from deer, not yet at least!





No comments:
Post a Comment