The same weekend that Jason and I were headed to Africa, the rest of our family headed west to Texas to my brother Thom’s wedding. It was very hard for me to miss my little brother’s wedding to his wonderful bride Katherine. However, I was able to cope with it by having their blessing to miss this special occasion and having the big event of meeting our son to distract me. Everyone had a great time in Texas and things only went off with one “hitch”, the one that was supposed to happen!
I’ll spare you the boring details of the trip Jason and I took to Ethiopia. I will highlight a few moments for you though.
#1 Meeting Masamo for the first time
What words are there to describe the first time you meet your child? Much like a birth, this moment was full of emotion and wonder. Masamo didn’t want much to do with us at first but we knew from his caretakers that he is slow to warm up to those he does not know.
Here’s the VIDEO of our first meeting
#2 The culture and people of Ethiopia
It is always amazing when you get immersed in a new culture, the shock that you have over the differences that there are in the world. Although it appeared that many of them lived in little more than shacks made out of tin roofing material, their hospitality was not diminished. Many got their drinking water from streams going through fields shared by soccer players and livestock alike. There were absolutely no traffic signals or signs of any type that we could see. A lot of honking, beeping and light flashing of headlights was all that the cars used to communicate in traffic. People were packed into the public transportation (small vans) and walked everywhere else. Another thing we noticed was that there were not a lot of elderly people around. Lastly, the love that the Ethiopian people had for their children was very apparent. Everyone who saw Masamo would say hello to him and try to interact with him (not that he responded to them).
Masamo's Homecoming
#3 The adjustment at home
I’m including this as part of the “trip” because it is certainly been an adventure! I think we’ve hit every range of emotions imaginable, from inconsolable crying to a full on belly laugh! Jason and I knew that this was all a part of the adoption “package”. Raising an adopted child is a whole other ball game compared to raising a biological child but the joys and pain feel just the same. Jason and I have had to make a lot of new changes at home. We’ve had to alter our regular comfortable habits to make things easier for everyone, especially Masamo. From waking to sleeping and eating to bath time, everything seems to have changed. I’ve had to dive back into entertaining a toddler and having him hang on me almost all day. I’m not complaining, it’s all for the greater good but it’s different and that takes time to get used to. I’ve described Masamo as having issues (good and bad) that you would deal with from a newborn all the way up to his chronological age of three and a half, they’re all rolled up in one cute little guy!
...........................................................................................................................................................
Here are a few of the highlights from the past two months, along with some photos. Once I’m done with that, I’ll introduce Masamo to you a little bit more.
1. Ella’s accident
Ella was riding her bike in the driveway when she failed to use the brakes in time and slammed into one of our garage doors. You can see the result. She did have some nasty scrapes on her arm but thankfully nothing serious!
2. First time out of the house for Masamo (March 9th)
I took David and Masamo to Walmart for our first venture out together. Masamo did very well considering how overwhelming Walmart can be to the senses. I held him the whole time and he wanted to see anything that had a horse on it!
3. David’s kindergarten “fiancee”
David took a bubble gum ring to his "girlfriend" at kindergarten and told her it was the wedding ring she was to give him on their wedding day. (He has hers stored at home in a safe spot) Don't laugh, these kindergarten romances sometimes work out! I know, I'm living proof!
4. Masamo’s first trip to Mc Donald’s
Jason and I took David and Masamo to the “musical” McDonald’s. It was Masamo’s first taste of fast food AND his first time in the playland. He wasn’t sure what to make of the playland at first but after Jason showed him the slide, he caught right on!
5. Watching a movie and eating popcorn.
6. Masamo discovering sunglasses and a rocking horse. I’ll let the photo do the talking.
7. Garden helpers
8. David’s sixth birthday!
9. Watching Masamo become more interactive with the family
March 26th - Calling out to Ella for a kiss and then waving bye to her as she gets on the school bus. This is now a morning routine!
April 8th –Hugged David when he got hurt and tried to comfort him
10. Scraping and painting the garage
11. Masamo’s first trip to the zoo (April 3rd)

12. Easter!

The egg hunters
13. Testing the waters with leaving Masamo in someone else’s care (April 6)
I first left Masamo at home with my mother and David. I went to a local coffee shop and got some hot chocolate and wrote thank you notes. I was gone 1 ½ hours, I don’t think he missed me at all!
14. Masamo’s first time camping at "the land" (April 9-11th)
Painting, it's actually fun when we're camping!
Riding the "tractor"
Emily being studious, getting some homework done while camping.
15. Emily’s birthday party (April 16th)
16. Masamo’s first haircut (not technically) but it was his first with us!
Masamo HATED this. He struggled the entire time but seems to have recovered well.
.............................................................................................................................................
Here is some personal information on Masamo. These are just glimpses that Jason and I thought you might enjoy about what Masamo is like when you get to know him.
1. Spent his first three days glaring at us, so if you get his “death glare” don’t take it personally , he just doesn’t know you.
2. He loves “makinas” or in English, cars (really anything with wheels on it).
3. He has recently discovered monster trucks and is in love with them, he spent a lot of time with Jason on You Tube watching videos of them!
4. He loves horses and the first words he decided to learn were almost all animal names and their sounds.
5. He loves to be outside, temperature doesn’t seem to be a deterring factor either!
6. He loves to swing.
7. He really looks up to his older siblings, especially David, he emulates almost everything David does. One example is that I could not until recently get Masamo to say “please”. I decided to use this emulation to my advantage and have David model how to say “please” and it’s results. And…. Voila! Masamo is now saying please!
8. He has picked up English very quickly. By his second week home we counted 57 words that we knew he used and understood their meaning. The number now is too high to guess at. His first sentence (thought up by himself and not repeating someone) came a week ago (April 12th) when I placed him in a swing. I started swinging him and he said “I like swing!” He understands just about everything we say too, God has made little children so amazing, they're sponges when it comes to learning!
9. He loves music, singing and dancing. He’s even making up his own lyrics to the songs he really likes. He’s changed the end of one song about the moon from “lemon pie” to “mommy pie”.
Here’s a video of Masamo singing and dancing to “I like to move it”. Masamo however pronounces it “I like to mool it, mool it!”
10. He hasn’t met a sweet that he doesn’t like!
11. He will eat very few fruits and NO vegetables.
12. He loves to laugh, whether it be because of a tickle, doing something silly or just imitating his siblings, Masamo likes an excuse to laugh.
Oh, I almost forgot! Here are photos of the newly redone bedrooms! Just to remind you Ella switched rooms so that the boys could share a larger room. Ella’s room is now yellow and David and Masamo share a blue room.
I think that’s all the new news from the Hartland. I will do my best to keep the blog updated more regularly now. This post took me a combined 6 plus hours to complete. I did not do it in one sitting either but rather multiple sittings. I hope you enjoyed this lengthy post! Until next time!























































No comments:
Post a Comment